November 2001
It was a beautiful fall day when I drove Maych down to the paint and body shop - sun shining and temperature in the mid 60's.  I remember how nice the day was, because I was thinking how this would be the last time I would be driving Maych  for quite a while.  It was kind of sad, knowing I wouldn't be able to drive Maych  for several months, but it was also exciting to begin the work that would restore him to his former beauty. 

This photo shows how Maych  looked when I delivered him to the paint and body shop.  In anticipa- tion of the paint and body work I had previously removed the bumpers and most of the outside trim and hardware.  I didn't remove the grill because I wasn't sure how much support it provided to the front fenders.  I also left the trim on the front fender because it is nearly impossible to remove with the inner fenders installed.   I'm sure Maych  looked pretty sad going down the road, but he didn't look nearly as sad now as he would by the end of the day.

Alan (the shop owner) was in the shop when I arrived.  I told him I was free for the day and would be glad to help any way I could.  He took me up on the offer and I pulled Maych  into the shop and we could begin removing body parts.  

After a couple of hours all that remained on the frame was the cab, the front core support, and the engine. . . . . . . . 

The hood was the first body part we removed.








Next, we removed the grill, the doors and the cowl vent cover.









The outer front fenders were the next to came off.  Alan
(in photo) made short work of these with the air ratchet.  Luckily, we only had to grind the heads off of two bolts that were stripped.
Next, we moved to the back and removed the tailgate.








Lastly, we got the bed ready to remove.  We weren't able to actually lift it off the frame on the first day.  It was just too heavy for the two of us (wimps!) to lift it off by ourselves.  

A few days latter, Alan got a few of his buddies to help him  lift the bed off of the frame and set it on a neat support structure he had made.  The wheels on the support structure allowed him to roll the bed around to different areas of the shop to work on it.

After we had all of the parts removed, I removed the trim from the front fenders that were inaccessible with the fenders on.  I took the the trim pieces, the grill, the tail light housings, and the side marker lights back home with me to restore while Maych was in the shop.

Maych looked pretty sad, sitting there with his parts scattered all over the shop, but I knew he was in good hands, and that before too long he would look like he did when he proudly rolled off the assembly line.  



Copyright 2001-2006 by Johnny M. Patterson
You can email me at
Site Host
Web hosting by ICDSoft